Monday, October 13, 2014

quilting with orange thread

I did get a quite a bit done on the baby girl quilt at our all day sewing session at the extension office last week.

I had been considering using this stripe fabric for sashing and borders...(blocks are just laying on the stripe fabric here).


But, I didn't want the quilt to get too big for baby...and I like the way it looks without sashing.


 Mitering  corners on a border is something I have wanted to learn.. I thought this would be a good time to try it...because of the stripes.  
There were instructions online to follow, but I still had to rip out and redo more than once. The trouble spot was at the inside corner of the border. It just wouldn't go together right. I finally opened up the seam a little and hand stitched it in place, then ironed it into submission.


Is there any way to get the stripes to match up exactly? If you matched them at one corner, what's the chance they would match at the opposite corner?  Maybe if I get the hang of doing the miter easily, I'll start thinking about how to match stripes.

I did get it layered and pinned that day, and ready for quilting . There was a nice tall table at the extension office that made that job easy.

Since then, I have started the machine quilting. I have been itching to try quilting with colored thread and I had an orangey-coral colored thread that was a good match for this quilt.

So far, I like it. It keeps the white background from looking so plain and stark.


It's a regular old stipple again. I just think it helps to strengthen the quilt since it crosses seams so they can't get pulled apart with use.



No comments:

Post a Comment