Tuesday, May 12, 2015

family quilts

My mother has a couple of quilts that were made by family members who are no longer with us.  I hadn't seen these quilts for years...since way before I started quilting.
When I was over there for a visit this week we pulled them out of the closet to spread them out and take a look at them (the quilts - not the departed family members!)

Right away I can see my love of bright colors is inherited!
This quilt was made by my mother's grandmother...likely with some help from my mother's mother, whom she lived with for a time while my mother was growing up.  This dates it anywhere from the late 1940's to late 1950's.

I didn't have room to spread it out completely so that's the backing you see folded over the right side.

I don't know the name of this block and I couldn't really tell if the blocks were sewn by hand or machine.
It is hand quilted with straight lines all the way across.
This quilt must have been made with all new fabrics since they are the same throughout.


This second quilt was pieced by my mother's Aunt Rose.  The story goes that she was a prolific quilter and that when she passed away, quilts and tops were found packed away everywhere in her three story house.

I am not sure if she gave my grandmother this quilt top before she died or if it came to her afterward - but, my grandmother did the hand quilting of the quilt (late 1970's)

It looks brand new. It has always been stored...not used or displayed.


Do't you love that orange sashing?  It sort of seems like it should have been continued as an outer border too...but its pretty just as it is.


I am thinking I need to make some labels for these quilts and stitch them on when I go over to my mother's next time.  These talented ladies deserve to be remembered.


No comments:

Post a Comment