Saturday, August 23, 2014

fresh tomato soup

With all the tomatoes ripening in the last few days, I thought it would be a good time to make tomato soup.

Most of the recipes have you peeling and seeding the tomatoes before making soup with them but I found one with directions to use a blender to pulverize the skin and seeds after cooking. It sounded worth a try. That way I could use cherry tomatoes too.


I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I chopped an onion and browned it in my soup pot and added 2 cloves of garlic,diced. I poured in chicken broth and about 8 cups of chopped tomatoes and a few whole cloves.

After it simmered about 25-30 minutes, I removed the cloves and used my immersion blender to see if it really would chop those skins and seeds. It worked pretty well...but maybe I should have blended a little longer. I could still see some skins in there. I put it through a colander and that got the rest out.


I added basil, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, sugar, balsamic vinegar and half &half. Then I thickened it with a flour and milk paste...and simmered a few more minutes.  

It came out pretty good. I would leave the cloves out next time and maybe the garlic too. It seemed like I had to add a good bit of sugar to balance out those strong tastes.


I think now we will try out Lonnie's dehydrator on the next wave of ripe tomatoes. He has been having to pick them before they really turn red or birds will peck holes in them (probably crows).

He picked his first green peppers too !




No comments:

Post a Comment