Wednesday, August 6, 2014

winner takes all

A couple of months ago a contest was started at my Quilting Bees group.

Each member who wanted to participate was given chunks of 2 different fabrics. The idea is to make any type of a 12" quilt block using those 2 fabrics plus any other fabrics you'd like to add to them.

At our August meeting they will be displayed without anyone knowing who's is whose...and we will each vote for our favorite block. Who ever gets the most votes wins all the blocks!

Here are the starter fabrics:

I have had a couple of months to be working on this but of course I waited until the day before it was due to get started. At least I had made a decision on what block I would be making...a "Dresden Plate".

I looked through my stash to see what I might have that would coordinate with the starter fabrics. I couldn't use pinks because any pink looked weird next to the solid coral colored fabric.

Here are a few possibilities....


What really catches your eye? For me it was the dark rose print next to the black. I began tracing and cutting  the template shapes for the plate sections...

Fold and sew...

Attach sections to form a circle.  Now which fabric for the center?  I kept wanting to use this green, but I knew it wasn't exactly right...


I had enough of the floral left so I decided to use it for the center. Look how I maneuvered that big flower to be in the very center!


I machine stitched the whole thing to a creamy white background and I am finished!

At the meeting I will take some pictures of  blocks that the other members came up with and show them here later.




No comments:

Post a Comment