I finished up this crib quilt for baby Drew. He was born last month to a very nice couple on my husband's side of the family. Big sister, Faith, was excited about her new little brother.
His Dad is a huge baseball fan so I searched the internet for baseball theme fabric.
I found this panel of 8 different ball player poses...
...and some cute yardage from the same line of fabrics...
Next came a lot of sketching and math and head scratching - trying to figure out a design using what I'd bought.
I decided not to cut up the blue fabric with the baseball players on it, since that would create pieces with a bunch of random legs and heads on each. I thought it would be better to keep that fabric for the back.
So that left me with only the 8 squares cut from the panel to work with. After even more sketching and forehead wrinkling (maybe some hand wringing too) I said to myself...
Baseball = Diamonds!
And I hunted through my fabric stash and found some fabrics that looked pretty good with the panel squares, and bought a bit of orangy red to brighten things up.
I put some thought into the lay out. I didn't want any of the ball players to be facing off the side of the quilt without any of the others ready to pitch and catch with.
I machine quilted it with my same old meandering design. I knew the top was a smidge bigger than the back and I had planned to trim them to the same size after quilting...but with the top being sort of long and narrow any way - I didn't want to lose any width.
So I made the binding extra wide to make up the difference.
That worked out fine and I kind of like the wide binding. I had to hand stitch it though, because of the size.
I am happy with the results. I would have preferred the solid blue for binding but didn't have nearly enough left over.
Now off to the post office to get this mailed out for Drew.
Hope he likes it!