Wednesday, January 25, 2017

finished baby quilt

While we humans rush to the store for milk and bread when it snows, the birds are hanging out close to the bird feeder, waiting for an empty perch so they can hurriedly gobble down a couple of sunflower seeds.
  I counted 12 male cardinals in this apple tree and a couple more on the ground.  There are females in there too but they are hard to see.

I've been working on a baby quilt for a baby on Lonnie's side of the family. The pattern came from a magazine. It was for a wall hanging but it was easy to just make more blocks and make it baby quilt sized.

The flowers were appliqued on. That's a technique that I don't have much experience with.

You cut the shapes from freezer paper and iron onto your fabric. Cut around the paper leaving seam allowance.

Snip the seam allowance on the curved edges...

Dot with glue and iron the raw edges to the back. 

Remove the paper and there's your piece ready to attach to the background.

I just sewed the flowers down with a straight stitch on my machine.  This is a wrong and bad way to do this.  It doesn't make a nice smooth finish, but at least it won't ravel or come apart.

Here is the finished quilt...

The colors are much more vivid than either photo shows.  More like this.... 

You might notice that this quilt is more puckery than usual. I had to run it through the washer and dryer to remove the glue used for the applique pieces.

Here is the fabric I used for the back...Cute!

Now I need to box it up and get it in the mail to baby Piper.

Monday, January 9, 2017

photos from October

I was unloading photos from the camera to the computer and thought I would take a minute and show these photos - from October- of Barbara's donation quilt.

She had collected the blocks in a  quilt block exchange group and wanted to use them in a donation quilt. I told her I would put the blocks together and quilt it.
So here it is all finished...

It turned out so bright and cheerful!  Barbara told me later that she gave the quilt to an elderly "shut-in", a member of her church.

On the back I used this "cheater" quilt's printed to look like a quilt.  
I had bought this fabric from a lady who was downsizing and selling off some of her stash, so it helped her out in a small way, gave me a bargain on fabric...and Barbara was able to brighten up her elderly friend's day, who now has a nice quilt to snuggle with. Win-win all around.

 Also in the camera from October...a beautiful fall sunrise....

 It changes so fast...

Here comes the sun...