Saturday, November 30, 2019

if you use it a lot - it wears out

I think the saying goes "If you don't use it you lose it".  I think that  applies to body parts but it definitely doesn't apply to my stove.

I chose this range with double ovens back in about 2006 when we had the kitchen remodeled. Since then, I've  used the smaller upper oven 99.9% of the time.  It would heat quickly  and was easy to see into and easy to put in pans and take them out.

A few months ago, I noticed a difference in things I baked in there and discovered the bottom element wasn't heating.  I ordered a new element and replaced it but still, it didn't work.

Meanwhile I started getting in the habit of using the bottom larger oven which was working fine. But look...it opens way down at floor level.

Just before Thanksgiving, I decided to have an appliance repair company take a look at it...even though it seems like appliances aren't meant to be repaired.
Sure enough, the repairman found that it was a "board" that needed replaced - but it was no longer available.  Even if it was, I was told they usually cost around $300.  I'm not sure if I would have chosen to have it fixed for that price or not.

Anyway it still works for broiling or keeping things warm.  So I will hang on to this stove for now.

The large oven worked fine for Thanksgiving. I just had to get down on my knees to baste the turkey!
Just kidding...I always use that oven for the turkey anyway.


I wanted to mention something new we tried this year...Cranberry Orange Relish from Trader Joe's.
It's fresh and sweet and tangy.  I bought one and we ate it before Thanksgiving so I went back and got two more!


It's not perfectly smooth like the canned kind but it's not quite as chunky as the recipe I normally make with fresh cranberries.  But it's much better than both of those.
Ingredients are simply cranberries, sugar, and oranges.

They also have it without the oranges but I can't vouch for that one.  The clerk at the store said they normally run out of both before Thanksgiving.  I am going to mark my 2020 calendar to buy it in early November.

No comments:

Post a Comment