Friday, August 28, 2026

Part 4 Norway Cruise

 Day 8 was a day at sea. I like to stay out of my cabin for a while in the morning to give the room steward a chance to change the towels and tidy up.

They do this twice a day on this ship, leaving crisp unwrinkled sheets and a shiny clean sink. In the evening there's a chocolate candy on the pillow and the next day's program.

The steward closes the blinds and turns on all the room lamps so it all looks cozy and inviting.


So, after breakfast, I decided to skip the morning talks and go to the Solarium to read.

It's a large indoor area with walls of windows to let the sun in, and an indoor pool is there, and also a snack and drink area. It's an adults only area except for a couple of hours in the early evening. So it's nice and quiet and there's a nice view of the sea.

Very relaxing so I soon headed back to the cabin for an early nap!

On the room TV there is a channel that shows the ship's current position on a map. You can see our position here marked by the arrow.


The rest of the day was more of the same...reading, some stitching, eating, a quick walk out on the upper deck, a TV movie in bed. 

Here is the sun at just past midnight when I lowered the blinds.



Day 9 was a port stop in Alesund. I had scheduled a scenic boat tour that traveled further up through a fjord.


It was a lovely sunny clear day.




The wind was very chilly, though! But there were places to get out of the wind on the boat and an inside area too. There was narrator speaking off and on throughout the day.



The water is such a dark blue. Don't dive in though...it can be up to 1300 feet deep in this area.



Back on the ship and time for a short nap and a visit to the buffet before the evening show, which was The Beatles...impersonators, of course.

The group was entertaining but maybe holding back some of the most popular songs since they were scheduled for a performance the next day too.



Day 10 was a port stop at Olden, which is a beautiful area and a popular vacation spot for tourists and Norwegians too.

I had to meet for my bus tour at 7am so I hurried and had a quick cup of coffee and a chunk of that Apple Kringle at the buffet.

The bus tour was nice and the guide was an American who had been living in Norway for 20 years. He had some good stories about things he found so different when he moved to Norway...food, customs, rules, traditions.

But the best thing was all the lovely scenery.



There's our ship docked right among the peaks.



Seeing everything reflected in the dark glassy water doubles the beauty.




We passed through several avalanche tunnels. This photo is from inside the bus going through a tunnel.



The tunnels are just big enough for 2 lanes of traffic.


More...



Oh, I'm on the wrong side of the bus for the views here!




A few grass roofs along the way...




Clouds reflected in the water...



The tour included a mid morning stop at a small hotel for coffee and cake.
Overall a very pleasant and enjoyable tour. 

This is getting long. I'm going to have to do one more post to wrap everything up.





No comments:

Post a Comment