Thursday, August 16, 2018

book review

I had a nice surprise when sorting out my kitchen junk drawer.

Well, it's not exactly a junk drawer but it does tend to accumulate stuff.

Anyway, I found a Books-a-Million gift card that had only partially been used.  I was going to be near the store the next day anyway so the timing was perfect.

I didn't know it, but they now sell used books too.  I was able to buy two books and still had 86 cents left on the card.

I picked this one partly because of the name "Bettyville" (like my blog "Darlaville"...which I copied from my favorite quilting blog..."Quiltville").

It also seemed appealing because it was a funny memoir.


The book is written by a man who took time off from his career to move back to his home state to live with his elderly mother "Betty", who was beginning to suffer with dementia.

He writes with kindness and love for his mother, but is able to relay what a strange experience it is to care for someone who is losing touch with reality, and he is able to see the humor in spite of the sadness.

The author also shares memories from his childhood of his mother and father. Some funny. some poignant...as it turns out he is gay, but was never able to discuss it with his parents, even though he was sure they knew.

I would say the book is just "okay".  The writing is good and it's quick and easy to read but I would have liked to read more about the real "Betty".
 I think her son didn't really know her that well...he filled more pages with details about himself and his own life.

I donated this one to the library when I finished it.

Now, I have to worry about that 86 cents left on the card.  Maybe if I'm near there again I will just hand it to someone who is going in the store.


PS - that weird stuff in the upper left of the photo is a bowl of rocks featuring a "horn coral" fossil.
I was just trying to make the picture more interesting.









No comments:

Post a Comment