Wednesday, November 14, 2018

aerial photos

 I came across this website called Vintage Aerial.

They have a collection of old aerial photos you can browse through.  You can search by address to see if they have any old photos of your home, or a place you used to live...or maybe your old family homestead.

The site claims to have photos from 5 decades.  Even if you can't find the property you were searching for, it's fun to see how your town or community looked back then.
If you can identify any buildings, there is a section to write comments, maybe to tell who lived there or the history of the building or if the place is still standing.

Their goal is to sell you a photo but looking is free.

In my area the oldest photos they had were from 1982. Only about 4 years before we moved here.
I found our house!




I see in the back yard they had not yet built the outbuilding we call "the pool house".

I would like to go back in time and tell them "No!  Don't put the building there and block off that lovely shady area under the trees."

I am glad to have the building, it has the pool filter and pump stuff in there, but it does block off the view of our back fields.

I guess we have plenty of shade anyway.  Here is an aerial photo from around 2002-2004?...about 20 years later.   It's amazing how the trees have grown!  There are a few I wish we would have moved or removed while they were still small.



That photo above was taken by a company that would come around door-to-door selling photos they had taken from a small plane or helicopter.   
I have two of them from seperate years but can only find this one right now. I think the other one is centered better.

That company hasn't been around in awhile. I guess people can get their own photos with drones or by just looking them up on Google Earth and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment