Wednesday, September 25, 2019

new things

I had a birthday last month and I was a lucky girl and got some nice gifts...including some cash!

I had been considering buying an air fryer since hearing the receptionist at my dentists office going on and on about how much she used hers.
So, I combined my cash gifts and ordered this one from Amazon, after reading dozens of reviews and comparing units.

Really, it basically works like a small convection oven.  There is a heating coil in the top and a blower to circulate hot air around the food.

The first thing I tried was zucchini fries.  I did what they suggested not to do - and overloaded the basket.

Before cooking, I tossed the zucchini with olive oil, parmesan cheese and ranch popcorn seasoning.


They weren't crispy like french fries but the parmesan browned and added a good flavor.


Next was jalapeno halves stuffed with cream cheese and bacon.


They cooked quicker than I expected and the cheese was melting out before the peppers were fully cooked.  No one turned them down when I put them on the table though.
There is a bit of a learning curve but that makes it kind of fun. Next time I will cook longer at a lower temperature.


Then, another day, roasted eggplant...


This had a really good flavor with just olive oil and sprinkle of seasoned salt.  The hot air dries up a lot of the moisture that can make some veggies soggy even when roasting.


I added jarred red peppers and crispy bacon and it made a nice meal.


The air fryer came with a book of recipes.  I picked out one for Coconut Macaroons to try since my husband really likes coconut.


Oops...good thing I checked them before the time was up...they were almost too brown. Lonnie liked them.


Back to zucchini - this time diced, along with red and green peppers and onions. Sprinkled with olive oil and Italian seasoning.


I had cooked chicken tenders one day too, coated with mayonaise and parmesan.  They were so good I forgot to take photos. The parmesan browned and crisped up a bit. (The recipe book instructed to bread with flour and panko crumbs but I wanted to avoid the carbs.)

I have also made sweet potato fries, again not really crispy, but a nice roasted flavor.

Overall, I like this appliance and even though I don't like a lot of stuff out on my countertops, I made a place for it there.  And besides it is too big to fit into any of my cabinets, ha ha.

It's easy to clean. The two piece drawer  is non-stick and can be submerged in soapy water.  
Less energy use than heating up an oven too.

I bought the air fryer choosing Amazon's "warehouse deals" feature, which means either the box was damaged, there was cosmetic damage, or in my case it was a customer return.  I've ordered several items like that and never had a problem, and it's a substantial savings.

So...I had enough cash left over to order this new ironing board cover! Whoo-ooo!


And last but not least, the Sasquatch surprised me on my birthday with a nice quilting fabric assortment.
My mind is swirling with ideas of how I want to use them...another patriotic quilt? a modern looking quilt featuring the black and white print? The pink gingham, definitely cute for a baby girl quilt.
The blue in the middle is my favorite...and Lonnie said I should make him a shirt with the blue print on the left... yeah, right.


Also, snugged in the box of fabric was a jar of Marcona Almonds.  They are my favorite so they have all disappeared without a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment