Wednesday, September 25, 2019

the finished patriotic quilt

I finished the patriotic quilt that I made for a co-worker of the Sasquatch's.


The gentleman has been in cancer treatment for quite some time.  The cancer keeps moving and changing but yet he keeps a cheerful and upbeat attitude...and had continued working.  
Recently things took a turn for the worse when he had a fall and broke a bone that had been weakened by the disease. 


Not knowing if he would feel up to having visitors, the Sasquatch mailed the quilt to his home.
Even with all he had been through, the gentleman called to excitedly express his thanks and appreciation.   


I have made a few quilts before for Hosparaus, Project Linus and other organizations, but of course one never knows who gets them...or the rest of the story.
But, with this quilt, it's a good feeling to know that the Sasquatch and I actually did surprise this gentleman and maybe brighten his day a bit while he's in the midst of dealing with such serious health problems.



It is a very bright quilt. I used a few darker red fabrics to try to tone it down a bit, and used off-white fabrics in place of the brighter whites in the original quilt that I saw on Pinterest.   
You can click here to get that free pattern. 
The stars are appliqued on and I am glad original quilt photo showed them turned every which way because it would have been tricky to get them all lined up straight and exactly the same.

There is Puss, photo bombing!  She is pouting because I wouldn't let her get on the quilt.  She thinks everything I make is for her.


On the back I used a solid white.  I thought any kind of a print might show shadows behind the light sections of the top.


The finished quilt is roughly 60" x 70".  Not big enough for a bed quilt but a nice size to use for a nap or TV watching on a couch or recliner.
I machine quilted with my usual meander pattern.

Now it's back to working on the three dimensional looking "Y" quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment