Tuesday, June 23, 2020

blooms indoors and out

This year I managed to actually put fertilizer on some of my plants - including the indoor ones. It certainly makes a difference.

I have a lot of windows in my house but not many good places for house plants except here by our back patio door, where I have a few pots of different succulents.


My Aloe Vera plant sent up a tall flower stalk. The small tubular flowers took a long time to open and were not at all showy, but still kind of interesting to see it happening.


My Sansevieria (snake plant or mother-in-laws tongue) also bloomed.  Frilly white flowers that dripped sticky nectar.


Outside the Clematis is blooming.  The bright green leaves are a different plant that has a nice lemony smell - but I can't think of the name right now - maybe Lemon Balm?


These yellow Coreopsis came from the mark-downs shelf at Lowes last fall. They were mis-labeled and not what I thought I was buying, but I like them. I've had them before and they do self-seed and spread around the flower bed.



The Orange Lillys or Ditch Lillys always bloom around Fathers Day. I have them in a couple of places where they won't crowd out other plantings because they can be real bullies.


Nepata or Catmint (not cat nip) by the back porch. Bees of all kinds just love this.


I am excited about this next plant. This is one my friend, Isolde, gave to me. She started it from seed. It is an oriental vegetable called "Bitter Melon".  I had never heard of it.

I know it looks like I planted it in a weed patch here but I wanted to go ahead and get it in the ground before the temperatures get too high.  I will weed and mulch as soon as possible.





Just a while ago I commented here on how the field next door to our house hadn't been bush hogged in several years.
Strangely, just after that, someone was over there cutting about a hundred foot wide swath.

I am happy to be rid of all the blackberry vines that would snag me when I drove by there on the mower, but I sure don't want to see neighbors moving in this close!


I'd rather deal with blackberry vines!



No comments:

Post a Comment