Saturday, March 13, 2021

the Sasquatch cooks

We were complaining about beef from the grocery store and how it doesn't seem to be as good of quality these days. The steaks and roasts seem to be cut differently than in the past and they are labeled with different or combined names so it's hard to be sure what you're getting.

The Sasquatch thought it might be worthwhile to try shopping at an actual butcher shop so he took it on himself to pick out some things at Kingsley Meats.  Not only picked them out, he cooked them for our weekly family dinner.

First up was a big plump chuck roast. It was tender and flavorful...really good!  He is a fan of the Le Creuset cookware and he used his big dutch oven for this roast. I wish I would have taken a photo of the pan too. It's a pretty blue color. You can just see part of the handle at the bottom of the photo.

It's a thing of beauty!


Next week it was bacon wrapped filets. The Sasquatch has a cooking method for those (originally learned from Chopper)...first searing in a very hot preheated pan, then baking in the oven to desired doneness.
He cooked these at my house and I'm afraid my oven is becoming more unreliable...the steaks weren't quite done when the timer went off.  But they were worth waiting the few extra minutes for - they were really delicious too!


I went over to Kingsley's and bought some of their ground beef. It was more expensive than the grocery but it wasn't pumped full of water like the grocery meat either.
We are paying the same price per pound for all that water that cooks off and that saturated absorbent pad that we find in all the grocery meat trays now.

Anyway, I think I'll occasionally make the drive across town and stock up on some meats there.

Also food - back in December I posted here about my fiasco trying to make Buckeye candy. I eventually gave up and basically made a fudgy mixture and poured it over a tray of the peanut butter balls.  It was okay but really just too heavy and sweet.

That concoction had been tightly wrapped in the fridge since then,  I took it out and melted the chocolate and peanut butter balls together, then stirred in some Rice Krispies cereal, poured it back in the tray and pressed more rice Krispies on the top, then let it set up again.

The cereal got a little soft and chewey but it did help to cut the sweetness. By golly, they were all eaten!



Puss felt duty bound to contribute something also.  She brought up this little blue tailed lizard she found in the basement.



I didn't want to be rude but I told her she should just eat it herself as a reward for catching it!




No comments:

Post a Comment