Friday, December 31, 2021

puttering around in the sewing room

 I think I'm just avoiding doing the bathroom cleaning by picking random things to work on in the sewing room.

First, I have cut the emblems from the front of a bunch of the Sasquatch's childhood tee shirts that I have held on to for roughly 30 years.  I have in mind to someday make a tee shirt quilt for him.  That's on a back burner for now...but hopefully sometime in the next 30 years.


  

Anyway,  they are taking up a lot less room like this than storing whole tee shirts.

I also have dozens of his scout patches to incorporate into the quilt as well.



The patches could be sewn to a plain square of fabric for the quilt or spaced out around the entire border...maybe sewn to denim?  I'll keep thinking about it. 


This next project went pretty quickly.  It's a repair on a small quilt that was given to me by my Aunt Velda for my firstborn son, Chopper.  It is homemade and hand quilted but I don't think she was the maker...mainly because she was busy with her own after-age-40 born  toddler and also running a beef cattle operation.  



So this little quilt has been around for about 45 years!  It has been used quite a bit so the binding was in bad shape...coming loose and splitting at the fold.
I honestly thought the whole quilt was bad and had been using it to scoot furniture around when we were moving stuff for the new flooring.  When I washed it afterwards I realized it was only the binding that was bad.



I thought it was worthy of adding a new binding but didn't want to use fabric that could be used in a nice new quilt. (I think the bible says not to attach new cloth to old, ha ha). I rummaged around and found these short strips that I had picked out of some other quilter's scraps give-away.


They were only 2" wide but that's big enough for a single fold binding. I joined the strips and sewed them on .

Done in only 3 Netflix episodes of Seinfeld.

It's a quirky little quilt. Not patchwork, just a heavyweight cotton cloth, a thin batting and a plain muslin back. An extra strip on each end to add some length. 
Hand quilted around each motif in the fabric.




The fabric is an unusual choice for a baby quilt. I'd have to say the theme is "Tattoos".
Ships, eagles, anchors, roses, and cherubs...banners with the word "mother".
But, it was skillfully stitched and made with care.  

So I did accomplish something. But I am out of excuses for not cleaning the bathroom.
Not a glamorous New Year's Eve activity for sure!







No comments:

Post a Comment