Wednesday, August 23, 2017

eclipse, birthday, other stuff

A guy stopped by and asked if we wanted that stump from the fallen pine tree removed.
We were just going to leave it and wait for the hollies to get big enough to hide it, but he quoted a good price and we told him "yes".

Even before he returned a couple of days later with his stump grinder - another guy stopped to ask about grinding it.  I guess that would have continued over time if we would have left the stump there.


He did a nice job and only took about 20 minutes.  Easier to mow now.

********************************************************************

Unrelated...
One day, when I was home alone, I heard a noise at the front door.  I glanced out at the driveway, expecting to see the mail lady's car, since she sometimes puts packages out front.

Hmmm, no car in the driveway and the noises continued.  Weird!  Is someone trying to break in?
I looked through the peephole in the door.  No one there...but the noises continued.

The bay windows are angled out in a way that I can see over to the front porch easily.  I slowly took a little peek out there and...Crows!   What on earth?

They flew as soon as I snapped the photo and then I could see what they had been doing.  Picking off big flakes of paint where it's peeling on the threshold.  
Gee thanks.   And thanks for the scare.



You are probably tired of eclipse talk by now.   I had planned on just sitting outside during the event...watching the light change.  But I got caught up in all the hoopla and decided to make a "viewer" at the last minute.  A "camera obscura".   
A long cardboard box with a pinhole in one end (in an aluminum can panel) and a white sheet of paper in the other end.  On the side - a hole to put my head in.


As soon as I tried it out, I could already see the edge of the moon moving over the sun.


After I got past the initial excitement, I started thinking " Gosh, what if someone drives up and sees me standing here with a box on my head?"


"Or even more embarrassing...what if they would see me standing here blindly taking a photo of myself with a box on my head!"


It was sort of hot in there too, and I found I could see nearly as well just by looking through the hole without putting my head completely inside.


I took a quick photo of the sun without looking.  Can't really see anything like that.


The light was very unusual, just for a short while and I did notice a drop in temperature.  The birds and squirrels were unfazed and continued visiting the feeder as usual.

A profound happening really, and makes one think of how vast the universe is and how we take for granted that things will carry on as usual.



A change of subject now. Of course I have to talk about food.  I was all happy when I saw this new product at the grocery.  Low carb pizzas!  Only 8 carbs total per pizza.  The crust is made from chicken and parmesan cheese.  Microwavable or bake in the oven.


I really was expecting it to be "real good" like the name says.  When I took it out of the microwave I got a whiff of chicken and I began having doubts.

It was not real good.  The crust was a big let-down. Unpleasant texture mostly - but chicken tasting too.  I just ate the toppings and threw most of the crust out for the crows (it was probably just a little better than those paint chips they were thinking of eating).
Oh well.


On a better note - we celebrated my birthday a little early this year.  If you don't mind me bragging a little, I will show my gifts...all good!

First, from Chopper, a ruler for quilting...2 1/2" wide, a very common size for cutting shapes for block making, and a book of quilt patterns.  Every quilt in there is one I'd like to make.  I was tempted to put away my current project and get started on one of these immediately!



Next, from the Sasquatch...a little Hen & Chick planter he fixed up using a brick that he drilled drainage holes in and then arranged colorful pebbles around  the 3 Chicks planted there.

Awwww...cute!

And from Lonnie...a new sharp spade. I haven't had one like this before. Looks perfect for getting in tight places.  Also, an Amazon gift card...time for me to do some online shopping!




Before I go, I just want to show a few photos of my Hyacinth Bean Vine.


It's one of my favorites with the multi toned leaves...


The blooms and the purple vines...




Then later there will be the fleshy purple seed pods.  I will let them dry on the vine this fall for seed to plant next spring.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Darla, Love the box on the head thing..what a novel idea....I have seen you looking a heck of a lot better !!!! ha ha...cute...HAPPY BIRTHDAY a little late maybe but I am so sorry I forget to keep up with Birthday's . Hope it was a good one for you, looks like it....remember NO NO BUY IT NOW !!! with the Amazon card I know how you must be feeling.....Just window shop ....ha ha...The Pizza did now look that good either...I'm with you I would have just eaten the insides....Love the stump thing...we had taken down a tree back home and had this huge stump left that most people just push over into a hole in the land that needs to be filled it and then dirt over and let it settle...well anyhow the guys all played a joke on me and put a FOR SALE sign on ours and then sent one of their wives from Ohio to buy it from me. Well she went on and on about how everyone needs a stump "lastest decorating thing" so I sold it to her for $50 and she said her husband would come that evening to pick it up with a backhoe.....WAS SO PROUD OF MYSELF FOR SELLING A STUMP They all got a big laugh out of that....hmm never did see the $50 though to this day....Have a great weekend and take care HUGS Diane K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      You had me laughing out loud at your story about selling that stump! That is so funny...but a dirty trick that they played on you! Hope you got even with them later!

      Oh, you remember how weak I am when I see the BUY IT NOW button. I can't help it - it seems like a good idea and I like to be agreeable😉.

      Delete