Tuesday, August 1, 2017

this and that

The Naked Lillies (or Resurrection Lillies) have sprung up around the yard. I have only planted them in a couple of places but squirrels must have replanted a few for me, because they come up in random spots.

There's always a few stalks that fall over or get knocked over by animals so I sometimes bring those inside and put them in a vase.   Now some varmint broke off one of my Zinnias at the ground, so I stuck them in the vase with the Lillies.  


Flower arranging is not my forte. I did work for a florist for a while but not doing floral arrangements!

Now here's what I like better...stuff to plant in the ground.  These are my three new Holly trees to plant in place of the pine that fell.  I ordered them from Evergreen Nursery in Tennessee.   
I wasn't even sure if they would ship them at this time of year, but they did and thanks to their careful packaging, the plants arrived in good condition.


I have them planted already...and I'll have to remember to keep them watered.


This is a little embarrassing...delivery trucks lined up in the driveway!  Am I too lazy to go to the store?  Well,sometimes.


I tried a new muffin recipe...Almond Poppy Seed Muffins.  They are good!


The recipe is from my quilt group's fundraising cookbook.  When I saw the recipe was one that Pat contributed, I knew it would be good. She always brings such yummy dishes to the potlucks.

I cut the recipe back to 1/3...and it made nine medium sized muffins.  Quick to put together and no need to even use the mixer.



I also tried a Greek style chicken recipe...Chicken Souvlaki, but I forgot to take photos.  It was okay...Lonnie did a good job with grilling marinated chicken breasts...but it seemed a bit lacking in flavor.  I've only eaten Greek food a couple of times so not a lot to compare it with.
I will probably try again with a different recipe.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy reading your blogs. Like talking to a friend at the end of the day. You have a tremendous amount of energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thanks for visiting and for the nice comments/compliments!
      I didn't recognize your name so I clicked around a bit and found your blog. Oh boy! I am looking forward to reading through your posts. Looks like a lot of interesting and humorous reading.
      Darla

      Delete
  2. I picked up some at the Shelbyville Kroger, liked it. They don't have it any more. Luckily I bought all they had, a couple dozen bottles. Nice and herby. An interesting addition to rum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another drink popular in that area is sorrel, known to us as hibiscus... Google...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe the alcohol makes it slide down easier! I think I could have developed a taste for it but have to stay away from sugar.

      Sasquatch said they only had one other bottle at his Kroger or I'd tell him to pick up the rest for you.

      The sorrel drink looks pretty and I'd try it...from a reliable source!

      Delete