Saturday, September 2, 2017

while the cat's away...


My husband was out of town for a few days and things got pretty wild around here....


Well maybe not really wild.  
I had fabric and quilt stuff strewn throughout three rooms, and it stayed that way for a couple of days.
Usually I keep this type of mess in my sewing room, but I really needed to spread out for this quilt.

Each block is different so it's hard to visualize what fabrics and colors will end up next to each other in the finished quilt.  That's why I've been avoiding working on this one for ...oh...two years or so.


So, I was able to lay the finished parts out on the floor and place small stacks of fabric along side them until I was happy with my choices.   I went ahead and cut fabric for several of the houses and buildings. I'll sew those then take another look at the layout.

Hopefully I won't have to create such chaos next time. My husband will be suspicious if I say, "Honey, aren't you ready to take an out of town trip again?"

****************************************************


My parents had their annual Fish Fry.   The fish is always so good and there's plenty of it...


And lots of sides...hushpuppies, mini peppers, deviled eggs, potato salad, broccoli slaw, corn cobbettes, Texas slaw....baked beans were there too...and a bag of chips!



After taking the food photos I laid my camera down and forgot to take any more photos at all. Sheesh!
Next time we're all together we need to be sure to get a group photo.

*************************************************************

There has been a small deer up around in the yard all by herself.  Something must have happened to her mother.

She doesn't seem very alert to danger - no adult deer to clue her on what to watch out for.
I think she is still a baby, you can see she still has spots.
At least she is eating well. She likes my Portucula - just the blooms actually, and doesn't like Marigolds at all. 



Hummingbird has been sitting on his swing (that the Sasquatch made).  He is guarding the feeder from all other hummingbirds. 



I don't know if you can make out the photo below. I took it through the window and screen.
Friday when it rained all day, there were several little finches finding shelter on the upstairs window ledges.  I'd never seen them do that before. Surprised me to see them there.


It looks like the one on the left would like me to invite him inside.  Poor waterlogged little birdies!










4 comments:

  1. Hey Darla, still missing you at quilt guild meetings. We all look forward to your return...That is the quilt I made with Tedi that we had in the window and it looked like stained glass. I've been going to have Miss Lois quilt it now for 2 years at least but haven't gotten it there....it is ALOT OF FUN TO Make...ENJOY the mess but it will all come together beautifully...Love the deer chowing down....he's liking most everything...like to see him and the hummingbird at it...funny...take care and HUGS Diane K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      Yes, I have a photo of your quilt from that day! It does look like stained glass and shows what good work you do...perfect piecing and seam allowances! You have so many extras on yours too. It has a lot of personality with the special embellishments!

      I think you are the only one of us who actually finished that block of the month quilt. It is a fun quilt!
      I am motivated to finish it up now...especially after I looked at the photo of yours again!
      Take care,
      Darla

      Delete
  2. PS Love the FOOD pics......I'm available any time to eat....ha ha...that's what I said yesterday on the survey to see what we all wanted next year at guild....I said more luncheons....ha ha HUGS Diane K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion...more food - more often! We have to keep our strength up for all that sewing, afterall!

      Delete