Tuesday, March 19, 2019

tried a new food

First up... The Sasquatch brought this cheese he found on close out at Meijers.  I think it normally sells for around $6.00 and they were clearing it out for $2.99.  He brought it over so we could all try it.

It's called "Grilling Cheese"...and can be fried to get a golden crust on the outside.


It came in a block.  The Sasquatch sliced it in roughly half inch slices, then coated the slices with olive oil.


Then browned them in a non stick skillet.


Look at these crunchy creamy morsels of fried cheesy goodness!


They were good on their own and also good to use as dippers for guacamole.
We enjoyed trying this and came to the conclusion that next time, either slice them a bit thicker or don't get them quite as browned, to leave more creamy inside.

The Sasquatch said he was going back to buy the remaining blocks of cheese if there were any left at the store.
We were wondering if this method would also work with mozzarella or provolone.
I see that the Grilling Cheese is a whole milk cheese whereas mozzarella usually seems to be part skim (I think?) That may make a difference but it's worthwhile to try it out.


Now here is a recipe that I tried out....


The recipe was in the booklet that came with my "Veggetti" spiralizer.  You have probably seen them.
It's a handheld cone with very sharp blades inside. You just twist and push a vegetable through to crank out thin spiraled strips. 


I used zuchinni.  It's actually pretty good just like this. Lightly sauteed in butter or olive oil, then add salt and pepper.



But I wanted to give the recipe a try.   I made some changes...left out the honey, used dried ginger and garlic. Didn't have chili or sesame seeds but added some hot sauce and diced peanuts.

Mine came out with a runnier sauce.


It was okay but not sure if I'd make it again.  I like the zuchinni better without the glop on it!

PS:  The "Veggetti" slicer is extremely hard to clean. Food gets stuck along the base of the blades...and they are super sharp as my thumb will attest.


No comments:

Post a Comment