Thursday, June 13, 2019

Project Appleseed

Months ago, when we were sitting around after a family dinner, the Sasquatch mentioned a target shooting event he was thinking of participating in, called Project Appleseed.

They were having a half price special on tickets for the two day event and there was a time limit on getting the deal.  The Sasquatch said to me..."You ought to try it".

Well, I have done okay when we target shoot in the back yard, and it sounded like it might be something fun and different to do, and I had to decide before the half price special ended, so I said "Okay".

We signed up for the June session, at Knob Creek Gun Range. In the weeks leading up to the event, the Sasquatch started telling me more about it.
Well, you shoot from 3 different positions...standing, sitting on the ground and laying down on your stomach!  Oh, lordy mercy!

About a week before the event the Sasquatch got permission to use the lower range where it is held, so we could practice there.


He had bought some special shooting mats for us to use when sitting or laying down (prone position) to shoot, and he'd printed off some targets like the ones they use at the event.
We tried shooting in all the positions and practiced for the parts that would be timed.
It was fun.

Then the date arrived for Day One.  It poured down raining so fortunately we were under a roof.
After everyone was registered it was time for a history lesson.  All about Paul Revere and the battles of Lexington and Concord.  There were more history lessons and stories during lunch and breaks both days.


Afterwards we hung our targets and did some warm up practice shooting.
Next, we were instructed to disconnect our slings from the back of our rifle and form the loose end into a loop. This loop had to be worn above our left bicep when shooting.


Next, one of the instructors demonstrated proper form for each shooting position in turn, and we would try shooting in each position afterwards. Then we worked on "natural point of aim" which involved focusing on your target, then closing your eyes for a few seconds then opening them to see if you were still focused at the same spot.  


It was a lot of getting up and down because we had to get in our position on the ground, focus on the target, then stand back up and wait for the order to get back down in position to "Fire".
All this with the rifle staying looped on your arm and making sure to always keep it pointed down range.
I kept forgetting things...like putting on my ear protection or pulling back the slide after loading a new magazine.  I lost all concentration and I will even admit that during the day, I accidentally focused and shot at the targets belonging to people both to the left and to the right of me.


Toward the end of the first day, we put up the actual targets that would be scored for the "Appleseed Qualification Test".  During that test there are lots of instructions about how many rounds to load, which area of the target to shoot and in what order, when to change magazines, and how much time would be allowed for each phase. We shot standing, sitting and prone.

I was exhausted by that time and did horribly, but I didn't care. I just wanted it  to be over!

On the other hand, the Sasquatch did really good and scored enough to get his "Expert Rifleman" qualification.

That gets you bragging rights, admiration from the other shooters, and a nice patch.




At home that night, I made the decision not to shoot the next day.  But I did want to go and watch.  The instructors were ready with some ideas about letting me use a sandbag support for my rifle barrel or letting me avoid some of the getting up and down.  But I didn't want any special treatment.  I just wanted to sit there and sip my McDonalds coffee and watch the shooting.


The Sasquatch scored well enough on another test to again qualify for the Expert Rifleman status...but you only get one patch per event.

We both got a tee shirt - included in the fee.





The Sasquatch really enjoyed the event and plans to do it again.

I am glad for the experience...glad I tried.

I can say "Been There, Done That (poorly), and Got The Tee Shirt".

No comments:

Post a Comment