Wednesday, June 19, 2019

starting another quilt

Someone said the hardest part of any project is getting started.  That certainly has been the case for me with this quilt I am making from a book I bought at the quilt show a few weeks ago.

I was disappointed when I looked at the pattern directions a few days after I got home.


The whole quilt was to be made using small triangles... arranged in vertical rows and sewn together as you see in the picture below.
That made no sense to me. It seemed like larger sections of each color could be used, but I couldn't figure out how to sew them together since they are all interlocking and crossing.



I searched the internet for different methods and finally I found the blog of a lady making a quilt with a pattern very much like this one.  In her photos of working on the blocks, I saw that she was building triangles - not squares or strips!

With this bit of insight I thought I could try drawing my own pattern for the quilt in the book.

I had to order a 60 degree triangle ruler (equilateral?) and when that arrived I began working with cardboard to figure out what sizes I needed to use before cutting fabric.

I started with the size of triangles used in the book pattern, that was my center triangle. Then I worked out how big to make the three strips surrounding it.




I made a practice block with some old cheapy fabric. It came out with ripples so I could see that I needed to trim up my angle after adding each strip.



I was ready to cut fabric and start making blocks.  Here is the first one. 
In this photo, I drew around this particular triangle in the book so you can see how it fits in the quilt.


There are 8 different triangles in the quilt. All with different color arrangements. Some face left and some face right.

At first I will make 12 of each color and assemble them together in columns. Then I will have to put my thinking cap back on and work out how those edges and top and bottom are done.

This will be a fun and different type of quilt.  I hope the fabrics I've picked out look as cute as the example in the book!




No comments:

Post a Comment