Friday, April 17, 2020

the iron fish

Last month, my husband found he had a slightly low hemoglobin level when he went in to his doctor for a checkup.  Not "danger zone" low and they didn't prescribe any medicine or treatment.

When I looked up causes of low hemoglobin, I read that low iron levels could be a cause.

Hmmm, I used to cook with cast iron skillets but not now, since I've had a glass cook-top stove. It isn't recommended to use cast iron cookware on them.

But I remembered the Sasquatch mentioning these "Lucky Iron Fish". They were originally manufactured to be distributed in countries where the average diet is low in iron...but now anyone can buy them on Amazon.  Cooking with these fish can add iron to your meals.

I talked to the Sasquatch about them and he ordered us both one.


You just simmer with your cooking liquid for about 10  minutes.  It does have to have something acidic in the liquid as well...tomatoes or a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar.


I'm storing mine in the drawer with my long handled cooking spoons hoping that will help me remember to use it.

It kind of scared me the first couple of times I opened the drawer and saw it there.  not expecting to see that eye staring up at me!
 



Lots of good information on the Lucky Iron Fish website- https://luckyironfish.com/
about what iron does for our health...important at all stages of life but especially for developing children and women of child bearing age.

They are pricey and I could have bought a whole cast iron skillet for the same price, but a portion of their sales dollars goes to help distribute the fish to communities where they are most needed.
so it's a win/win situation.




No comments:

Post a Comment