Tuesday, October 13, 2020

brisket - deal or no deal?

 

One of our favorite meats for family meals is a Sadler's smoked beef brisket. They are cooked and sliced and all you have to do is heat them up and serve them.

I have never cooked a brisket starting with the raw chunk of meat...until now.

It seems like beef prices have been rising so when I saw this brisket marked down to $1.99 per pound at Kroger, it didn't take me long to lob it into my shopping cart.



It was huge...just under 13 pounds!  


After looking at cooking methods online, I decided to bake it overnight at a low temperature (215 degrees). I added just a bit of water and a few bay leaves. 

 I had to dig out my turkey roasting pan because I figured (correctly) that it would create a lot of liquid and I didn't want it to run over in the oven while I was asleep.

Here it is 9 hours later...Fully cooked and very tender.


And here is what I had left after separating the meat from the fat...five pounds and four ounces of meat!

So, that brings the true price up to $4.91 per pound of edible meat.  Still not a bad deal though.

I tried slicing across the grain like the store bought briskets but mostly it shredded and crumbled. It had a good rich flavor and needed only a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Better flavor than a chuck roast (which is nearby on a side of beef).  




This doesn't take the place of the Sadler's briskets that we like, but I'd buy it again if I saw it at this sale  price.



Unrelated, but I was admiring the afternoon sun shining on the field next door and a bit of autumn color showing already.


At first glance our driveway looks like a river in this photo (or it did to me).


One more photo...this is the big Catalpa tree at the Sasquatch's old place.  There were no Catalpa worms on it this year (mine either) maybe because of our late spring freeze? 
It is magnificent in real life and the leaves are as green as in springtime.


I will miss seeing this big old tree. I am glad I have one of it's offspring...raised from a seed.
I have a few more seeds...maybe I should try to start another one.


No comments:

Post a Comment