Thursday, July 20, 2017

another tree bites the dust


Earlier this year, when we had some really windy days, I was talking about how we'd had such strong winds in spring of 2016...that one of our big healthy pine trees had broken off at the base.

As I was saying that, I looked out the front window and noticed that another of the pines (planted at the same time) looked like it was leaning a lot more than it was before.

I thought it might be my imagination but over these months I've been trying to pay attention to any changes in the slant of the tree. Then, last time I was mowing out there I could see a big difference.  One side of the tree (forked trunk) was leaning way away from the other side.

I called our tree company, who said they might be able to cable both sides of the tree together and keep it from falling...but it would be Monday before they could look at it.

Well, Monday was too late.  Sunday evening when my sons were leaving they actually saw the tree falling like slow motion...or half of it anyway.

 I was hoping the other half could still be saved, but no, it was leaning the other way.
This photo taken from the opposite direction.



When the tree guy came to the door on Monday, he had a funny look on his face. He must have  thought I was expecting them to put the tree back in position!
He seemed relieved when we just asked them to finish taking it down and haul away the mess.

They did it the next day....

I guess we were lucky it didn't fall on that Spruce there on the right and damage it too.

Those two tiny trees in the center of the photo are 2 hollies I put in last year to replace the other pine that fell.  I'm thinking about getting 3 more hollies now to fill in this space.
The pines are pretty and fast growing though...hmmm...and Giant Thujas are another possibility.

We need something there though, not just for privacy, but to block noise and pollution from the highway.


Here's the same view from 2014...much nicer than seeing that neighborhood across the street - and the telephone pole- and the gas company thingy.

Time to start shopping for new trees!



2 comments:

  1. Darla, those pines are known to fall when they get that large. We had them all over at the old house and removed them so in bad weather our house would not be in their way....one almost hit the house and we were stunned....sure do miss you but love the keep up with you this way...in my mind and heart....HUGS Diane K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      Whew! You were lucky that tree missed your house!
      I always like to see homes with shady trees all around but it sure is risky...even if it's just a limb falling.
      Thanks for the good thoughts...much appreciated.
      Darla

      Delete