Tuesday, July 17, 2018

hexie quilt finished

I started making English paper pieced hexagon flowers a few years ago.  They are hand sewn so it was a good project to carry in my purse to work on in waiting rooms and on car trips or at quilt group days when I didn't want to lug my sewing machine around.

My idea was to use my least favorite fabrics to make the motifs...thinking it would be a good way to use them up.

Eventually I just got tired of working on it and was wishing I had been spending the time using fabrics that I liked.

I had enough finished to put together a smallish quilt so that's what I did.


After hand sewing all the flower shapes together, I pinned it to a piece of peach colored cotton chintz fabric (left over from a long ago home decor project). 
Then I machine stitched around the outside edge then trimmed away the peach fabric behind, so it wouldn't be so thick.


Next, a thin dark blue border plus pieced together peach fabric borders. Machine quilted.


The binding came from the "free stuff" table at one of my quilting groups...folded, ironed and ready to use. It was even the right size...with about 13" to spare.  A raspberry color with polkadots!


 I like how it came out...much better than I imagined. 
Someday I will make another one but I'll put more thought into the color scheme.


I had enough of the peach fabric for the back (pieced together too but you can hardly tell it).
I sewed the three leftover flower motifs back there too.

This one is the right size for a donation quilt...which is what I had in mind for it after I decided not to make any more of the hexie flowers.

This is the third project I have finished since I vowed to complete all my UFO's ( Un Finished Objects)!


4 comments:

  1. Have missed you at club, but keeping up with your posts. Love you quilts, garden, and recipes. I have finally realized how over committed I have been. Planning on downsizing everything. Did you know I sold my house and have moved to a patio home in Woodlake. Moving is the Pitts! Didn’t know you crocheted. I try to crochet and knit to help my church, but really “knots me up”. Lol! Just trying to keep afloat taking care of business. Found out it is OK to rest, even God did.
    Blessings, Sandy McCoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, good to hear from you. I sent you an email.

      Delete
  2. How neat that your least favorite fabrics made a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete