Thursday, July 12, 2018

what's growing around the yard

I have heard that if you have tomatoes getting ripe by 4th of July then your garden is doing good.
I had one cherry tomato with a blush of red on the 4th, but now a week later they are really starting to ripen.

I also have zucchini and cucumbers.  Actually I have two kinds of small tomatoes.  The ones in the photo below are called "black cherry" tomatoes and they are more of a purplish color than the photo shows. They are okay but I probably wouldn't buy them again.



I have one jalapeno plant...again the photo is a fooler...they are not that big, just closer to the camera.
And my favorite tomatoes..."sweet 100's cherry tomatoes.


Here's my Hens and Chicks.  I don't know if that big one is ready to bloom or just glad to see me!
My poor planter blew off the porch last fall and had cracked in half.  I slopped a generous amount of cement epoxy on each half and glued it back together.  It adds interest, I think.


This is a flower bed I thinned out last summer.  I like the new combination of zinnias, crocosmia, and gladiolas. 




Lonnie is not having much luck with his Better Boy tomatoes this summer.  The tomatoes keep disappearing just before they start to get ripe.  
I think it must be squirrels getting them because there are no half-eaten ones laying around.

Lonnie is so aggravated, he just gave up on the tomatoes and quit watering them. I felt sorry for the plants and have been giving them a drink.
Maybe the critters will get tired of green tomatoes and leave us a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment