Thursday, September 20, 2018

Hens and Chicks bloom

In July, I noticed my Hens and Chicks putting out an unusual growth. Since I have seen them blooming elsewhere, I figured that's what was happening with this one.


Over the summer it started looking more and more strange and eventually several smaller stems emerged from the main one.


As the smaller stems got longer - the main stem started dying back.


The blooms never became beautiful to behold.They were scaly and pinkish...rather homely.



Then the whole thing started looking poorly.


And drooping to the ground.




The Sasquatch suggested that I put a pot of dirt beneath the drooping stems...thinking that might be the way the plant gets a fresh start (other than producing the "Chicks")


That seemed like a good idea so I tried it.  So far I can't tell if the stems are going to send out roots or not.  I don't want to pull them out of the dirt to see, so I'll watch and see of they turn brown or stay green.


On the other hand, I've had good luck starting some cuttings from a rose bush that was growing in an area that became too shady (not in my yard).  I just dipped the cuttings in rooting hormone and stuck them in this pot of dirt.




I figured I would be lucky to get one stem started out of around a dozen cuttings, but it was the opposite...only one died out.

Now, what am I going to do with all these rose starts?  Roses aren't my favorites. I don't really like anything with thorns and roses are high maintenance.

But, I will probably start digging a spot for them. I'll have to look up some information online on how to care for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment