Tuesday, September 4, 2018

what a mess


I guess since I am always showing off my successful projects - it's only right for me to show the failures too.

We recently bought a new quartz top for our bathroom vanity.  It's nice.

I got the old one mostly disconnected and the Sasquatch lifted it and carried it out.  You can see the wall got torn up a bit from removing the tile backsplash.


The Sasquatch not only picked up the new top at the store...he got it inside and up the stairs and lifted it on to the vanity...and hooked up the water and drains (I did one faucet). 

Since the new backsplash was perfectly straight and our walls are wonky, there was a gap in between that needed to be filled before caulking.

So the next day I went down a bought some spray foam to fill the gap.

My gosh ...what a horrible mess!
this is after some clean up


I knew not to fill the crack completely because the foam expands, but good grief...it came erupting out of there like a volcano!  Going up the wall and spreading over the top of the back splash!

I started trying to pick up the excess with my trowel, making an even bigger mess. Then I got panicky, worrying that it would hurt the surface of the new quartz top. 

I grabbed the nail polish remover since it was handy and saturated some paper towels to clean up the sticky mess.

No harm was done to the counter top but I ended up with cotton ball fuzz and paper toweling glued to my fingers.


Of course I tried to wash it off with soap and water but I think the water just made the glue really set up and harden.


It took about 2 full days and a layer of skin for it to come off completely.

As for the counter top...I was able to scrape and cut away the extra foam that covered it.



I still need to work on the wall some more before painting but we are still trying to decide on a paint color anyway.


We like the new counter top and the larger sinks. I will show more photos when the project is complete.




1 comment:

  1. When Fall is in the air, new projects are in the air. And you didn't break a nail.

    ReplyDelete