Wednesday, September 26, 2018

sewing machine maintenance class

Months ago, I signed up for a class on how to maintain my Singer Featherweight 221 sewing machine.
At the time I signed up for the class, I was trying to give myself a "jump-start" and start getting out of the  house again.  As the date drew nearer (this past weekend), I was beginning to regret signing up but it turned out fine.

The class was near Colombus, Ohio...about a three and a half  hour drive, so I started out early the day before, planning a small detour along the route to Ikea.

Ut-Oh !!! 



Something about this store pushes my buying buttons!  I have joked that the Swedish names on the items must contain subliminal messages... saying buy...buy...buy.  

Yes, those boxes did fit in the Jeep but I had concerns about leaving them in there in the hotel parking lot overnight.  The soft top is not much of a barrier to a thief.

Fortunately the hotel was in a nice area and there were no problems.  

I realized something.  I have traveled a lot but I have never checked into a hotel and spent the night on my own.   It seemed so strange, but I just hogged up all the bed pillows and slept fine.


The class was right in the same hotel at 9am the next day.



There were 20 ladies there with their Featherweight machines


Step by step we learned how to take our machines apart and clean them...and most important...what gets oiled and what gets greased.


This is during a break.  The lights were dimmed so we could follow along to a slide presentation so we all had work lights at our stations.


It was a good class. Much more detailed than information I'd found online.  The instructor, Nova Montgomery, gave us all a laminated chart to remind us how to do maintenance on our machines when neded.  After the class, she waited to be sure everyone's machine was back together and sewing perfectly.   
I could tell a difference in mine. It was running smoother and quieter after it's "spa day".

Nasty weather for traveling home.  Rain...but it let up for a few minutes just as I passed through Cincinnati.
The sun tried to break through and made the most beautiful golden backlighting for the clouds.
Of course the photo snapped through  the window of a moving vehicle doesn't do it justice.



So...some of my Ikea purchases were not impulse buys.  I have been looking for a small ottoman to go in front of this chair that had belonged to Chopper.
I like to sit in it every morning and have coffee but I'm always more comfortable with my feet up on something.



This "Strandmon" ottoman is just the right size.  It was available in 4 colors. I thought this would be the closest match but it's more of a cool beige.
 Probably should have gotten the dark grey but I'm certainly not driving back up there to exchange it!




No comments:

Post a Comment