Friday, May 15, 2020

more trees to plant


I have new trees to plant.  It's all due to Lonnie tripping on some uneven concrete in our screen porch.

Usually we have a table sitting over the uneven spot but Lonnie had given the porch a good cleaning a few days before and the furniture was not yet back in place.

He stubbed his foot on a raised area then smacked down on both knees, then threw out one hand but he still had momentum and banged the side of his face on the concrete. Ouch!

I was in the house and had no idea he had fallen.  He said it took a while to get up and determine if he could walk...but he decided he was okay and came in to patch up his bloody cheek bone.

Later that evening though, there was considerable pain and swelling in the knees and his hand so we decided to go get x-rays the next morning.

Now, because of COVID-19 precautions, no one is allowed into the emergency room with the patient. I helped Lonnie inside (very sore knees) and they gave me a number to call in 2 hours.  They said I could wait in the parking lot or go home.

I just waited in the parking lot doing some hand sewing and listening to the radio.  Just before 2 hours were up, Lonnie called me himself and said he had x-rays and a CT scan and they told him it would still be another hour before they had the results.

By this time I was beginning to need a restroom break...but where to go? I couldn't go in the hospital.  The fast food places are drive through only because of the virus.  Gas station? Not sure what kind of restroom policy they have in place.   Oh yeah...a Kroger store just down the road. Their restrooms would be open.

It so happens that particular Kroger had a very nice garden center. I had no idea. Lots of small trees and plants...different than what I have been seeing at Lowes too.  And nice little trees priced at $12.99.  I had to buy some!  Two Persimmons and two Ginkgos! 

Oops!  I forgot...I am driving Lonnie's car, not the Jeep!  How will I get them in there? How horrible I am to be buying trees while my poor husband sits alone in the emergency department!

I opened the trunk but there was no way they'd fit in there.


I was able to sit them in the back floor and gently bend them back toward the rear window...hoping dirt and moisture wouldn't stain his floor mats!


Back at the hospital, after about 4 hours total wait time, Lonnie called me again to say no broken bones except a small fracture in his hand that they couldn't really treat in any way...and they were wheeling him out the doors.  That's some good news!
I told him don't be surprised, but I had 4 trees in his car!  He didn't even mind.

A couple of days later, I drove Lonnie to his orthopedic doctor for a follow up.  He looked at the x-rays and verified nothing was broken and suggested cortisone shots in both knees to help with the pain - and it did.

I had thrown a tarp in the car since I knew we would be right back in the area near the Kroger store. Yep, I went back and got a few more things.  This time 3 Japanese Maples and 2 River Birch.
Got them all into the back seat again!


These are all supposedly somewhat deer resistant but I'll rig up some protective fence rings for them anyway.
And it's a good time to dig holes since the ground is wet and soft.  Except I've broken my shovel!


I will see if the Sasquatch can weld it but there is probably too much rust. I have a bad habit of leaving it outside.
I have another just like it that belonged to Chopper.  I will take better care of that one.

Long story! Sheesh!




No comments:

Post a Comment