Wednesday, May 27, 2020

what's been cooking

I had a spiral ham bone in the freezer I wanted to use so I made...soup!

Carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, broccoli, and some leftover veggies saved in the freezer.


There is the bone simmering for broth and bit of ham.  I never used to simmer a ham bone like this but my Dad always talked about what a delicious soup it makes and I found out he is right.
A Honey Baked Ham bone is the best but this store brand spiral ham worked pretty well too.


Done!



Another day I cooked cod in the air fryer.  I used a mayonaise coating and Panko crumbs.



Another day, I tried out a recipe for Low Carb Lasagna Noodles. 


They were better than I expected.   You mix cream cheese, mozzarella, eggs and Italian Seasoning in the blender.


Spread in a greased pan and bake.


Cut in strips and layer just like regular lasagna noodles.


My family liked them better than regular noodles and a lot less carbohydrates.  Nice texture in the lasagna but very filling, because...more cheese!


Let's see, what else...

The Sasquatch had came across a recipe online for Double Lemon Cheesecake Bars and he thought I might like to try it out sometime. I can take a hint! 

The recipe was from a Canadian website so the day I was making it I was trying to convert grams to ounces and so forth...then I noticed the same recipe is right on the Philadelphia cream cheese box...with standard American measurements.  Well, that makes things easier!



The crust layer is crushed vanilla wafers. Good and not as heavy and overpowering as graham crackers.  In the middle is the cheesecake filling.  Meh - dry and pasty, I thought.  The lemon glaze on top was really good and I would suggest doubling the amount listed.

This wasn't really a fair trial of the recipe because I used bottled lemon juice and dehydrated lemon peel instead of fresh lemon.
I don't know why I did that. It's not like lemons are expensive. Geeze! 

One more thing. I kept seeing "Sheet Pan Meals" photos online and it seemed like a fast and easy way to prepare a full meal, so I just put together a few things I had on hand to try out the idea.


Fresh Brussels Sprouts, diced potatoes, onions and Kielbasa.  I tossed the veggies with salt, pepper and olive oil and gave them a head start in a 400 degree oven before adding the Kielbasa on top.
We liked this and it tasted just as good as leftovers.

That's what's been cooking in Darlaville!




No comments:

Post a Comment