Friday, May 1, 2020

what's cooking

Gosh, since the virus lock-down has started it seems like there is so much focus on food...the shopping and stocking up "in case". Then of course there is the eating...comfort eating, boredom eating, TV watching eating, stress eating, and just eating for fun.
How will I ever fit back in to my "going somewhere" clothes?

My husband's favorite thing that I've made lately is "Pioneer Woman's Tomato Soup".

Here is a link to her recipe  Best Tomato Soup Ever

It's easy to figure out why this is so good...it has a lot of butter and cream in it!
It's quick and easy too.  You start out by cooking diced onions in butter.


Then you add the tomato products and spices.  I had this Costco sized can of tomatoes that you see on the right. The recipe doesn't use anywhere near that amount.  I have to admit I didn't follow the recipe exactly - I used more tomatoes than called for - about half of that can.


The cream goes in near the end, along with some sherry, if desired.  I didn't have sherry, but I did have a bottle of cooking Marsala, so I added a few glugs of that.



After the cream goes in it turns a pinky-orange color and it's ready to eat.  Lonnie liked that it was a little chunky with tomato and onion bits.



As a side dish I made some cheeseburger stuffed jalapenos.  No recipe, I just mixed raw ground beef with shredded cheddar, salt and pepper then filled jalapeno halves with the mixture. Baked in a 400 degree oven until done.




They were just okay.  Maybe a a slice of bacon on top would have helped.



On another day I made Parmesan breaded chicken breast strips in the air fryer. I think I have mentioned these before.  Low in carbs because they ate coated with mayonnaise and rolled in Parmesan cheese...no grains involved.


And this recipe....Butterscotch Brownies. I had forgotten about it and came across it again recently, tucked in a cook book I rarely use.  I remembered it as being good so I made a batch.



Now, I think I must have put it aside on purpose.  It is good but so sweet and rich - overly so. Even a small portion sets like lead in your stomach.  I won't make this one again.

At least these pretty sunny days get me out of the house and away from the food for awhile, or maybe just working up an appetite out there with yard work!









No comments:

Post a Comment