Saturday, May 23, 2020

Puss meets a little Possum

I noticed Puss cautiously checking something out near the swing one day.  I didn't think it was a rabbit because I have noticed she doesn't try to chase rabbits anymore. She must have tangled with one and learned her lesson by getting kicked or nipped by sharp bunny teeth.

When I walked closer I saw she had found a small opossum...out foraging in the middle of the afternoon.


Oh, they are horrible looking things. Not even cute when they are small!  Those beady eyes and naked tail!


The possum was opening his mouth and hissing.  Puss decided he wasn't very interesting after all.


We left him to go on about his business.

This poor shady flower bed.  It would look good if I would weed it and also remove the Resurrection Lily bulbs that somehow got planted there by some goofy squirrel. 
I like the purpley colors of the Japanese Ferns with the lime green of the Heuchera.  I'll be working on this bed next.



I'm been weeding this front flower bed.  Puss likes to observe from horseback.

"Giddy-up! Let's get moving!"


My concrete statues need attention too, the jockey especially.  He's getting cracked and crumbly.
If I get around to it this summer, I will try smearing some caulk on the bad spots to hold it together a couple more years, and also give both a fresh coat of paint.

"Come on man! We won't win the Derby like this!"


Beside pulling up dozens of Maple seedlings, I pulled up this tiny oak...with acorn still attached.
Isn't it amazing?  "Mighty Oaks from Little Acorns Grow".

I would have felt guilty pitching this aside so I temporarily planted it in a flower pot. I'll see if I can find a permanent spot for it.


We have a pair of young raccoons visiting our back yard every night.  They are cute but are trouble makers.  They have turned over Lonnie's garbage can on the screen porch and strewn the garbage around.  They can climb the pole to the hummingbird feeder and knock it off the hook so I have to remember to bring it in every night (that's going to draw ants) and they have ripped up the sponge float on my rain gauge again.
Things change all the time though and eventually they won't come around to terrorize us.


Other than than that all is quiet and peaceful here.
   
This field next to our house hasn't been bush hogged in several years now. It has grown up into a jungle. Soon we won't be able to see the forest for the trees!


I still like to look out at at it from an upstairs window, especially in the evening when the sun shines on the trees at the other side.



No comments:

Post a Comment