Tuesday, May 23, 2023

quilts...didn't make them but worked on them

 I've been doing some work on a couple of quilts that I didn't make.

I was happy to be able to help with getting them finished.

The first one was a quilt with my Crazy Quilters group. We wanted a quilt as a gift for one of the Homemakers ladies who is dealing with some very serious health issues.

My friend, Jan, brought in this pretty quilt top she made and also a backing for it too.


At one of our meetings, we all pitched in to pin the layers together.

Here's a close up view of those cheery fabrics!



From there, I brought the basted quilt home and quilted it.

Here's a picture of the matching quilt back folded over.


I know my fat little Puss shouldn't be on there but she plopped down perfectly in nearly the exact middle of the quilt with a nice tuck-footed pose. 
I snapped a photo then shooed her away. (She's a good color match for the quilt!)


After the quilting was finished the quilt was passed to other group members for making the binding and sewing it on, making a name tag, and then hand sewing the back edge of the binding. Another group member delivered it.

We hoped our gift could provide a small measure of comfort and support and we were happy to receive a message of warm thanks from the recipient.
Many well wishes for her.


The groups that meet at the extension office are asked to do a bit of charitable giving.
We had an opportunity to do so when an organization called "Camp Courageous Kids" in Scottsville Kentucky expressed a need for quilts.

They provide summer camp sessions for kids with disabilities, health issues, autism and more. They like to use quilts in their lodging to provide a warm, homey atmosphere.

When I found out the quilts are washed often as the campers come and go during the summer, I got the idea to use this quilt and add more quilting to help it hold together with all that washing.

This was a quilt that belonged to my mother. Very pretty but I'm thinking maybe made in China...and she may have picked it up at a thrift store. Not sure...but not a family heirloom, anyway.




Since this quilt was larger than the twin bed size that the camp needed, I removed a couple of rows from the sides. 

I removed the minimal amount of hand quilting that was there, then machine quilted around each square. I made a binding from the border fabric I'd removed.



It was nice to be able to pass along this quilt of my mother's for a good cause.
I hope it holds up well!



No comments:

Post a Comment