Thursday, July 6, 2023

Blackberry jam...tried and failed

 It must be a good year for fruiting of blackberries.  I've been noticing so many patches just loaded with berries while mowing the grass.



They are sort of a problem for me really, because the roots can run several feet underground and send up canes in my flower beds.
No fun trying to pull those thorny devils out!

But, seeing all those berries made me want to try making a batch of jam.

I was able to find enough berries within reach and didn't have to wade into the weeds to get them.

I found a simple recipe online...just blackberries, a whole lot of sugar and some lemon juice. Instructions were to boil for 10 minutes.



It made enough for two small jars.  It looks okay, right?


Well, it wasn't okay at all. It was so thick and stiff that I could barely get it out of the jar.
Impossible to spread and  very unpleasant in the mouth. I had cooked it too long, I guess.
And it didn't even have a good blackberry flavor.

Total failure!


I feel like my cooking skills have left the building. 

The rest of the blackberries can just stay on the vine. Maybe the birds can eat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment