Saturday, April 27, 2019

a trip to the quilt show

I recently made a pilgrimage to Paducah for "Quilt Week", the annual spring show put on by the American Quilters Society.

It was a 3 hour drive but not so bad...lots of scenic views of farmland and roadside trees decked out in thier bright spring foliage.

The event is a mix of show quilts, contests, demonstrations, lectures, and vendors.  There are also classes - paid for and reserved in advance.

Here are a few of the winning quilts. Not sure which category they were entered in.



Lots of cute details on this one...


So much applique on this quilt...amazing work.


Here are other quilts that I really liked...some traditional patch work, simple but striking.




This one more modern with a sort of 3-D effect...


This one really 3-D!


And a really artsy modern one...


 There was an exhibit of "Quilts of Valor", an organization with a program for volunteers to make patriotic quilts to present to current and former military men and women as a token of gratitude for their service to our country.
This exhibit featured 50 different quilts. One made in each state.  This was my favorite.


Each year there is an exhibit of small quilts with a theme selected the prior year. It is a contest using a specific line of fabric.  This years theme was the musical artist, Prince.   So many creative ideas...


Then there were the vendors...lots of them!  Sewing machines, fabric, patterns, rulers, and all kinds of accessories. Stuff you never knew existed!


I really liked the quilt hanging in the center of this vendor booth.  I bought the pattern for it but I will make mine more colorful, I think.


The show has out-grown the Paducah convention center and they have a few other locations in town with even more stuff.  You can take a free trolley, some are horse drawn, to all the locations and also some of the fabric stores and quilt shops are along the route.


There is so much to see, you have to keep up a steady pace but it's still impossible to see everything in one day.

I did manage to find time to make a few purchases.   I was inspired by those  three dimensional quilts on display and bought this pattern book. Also a couple of yards of "Amish black" fabric for backgrounds.



This is something I have been hearing about...Japanese Sashiko. A sort of decorative stitching using preprinted fabric.  I bought supplies to give it a try.


I can never pass up the  booth that sells these "Three Yard Quilts".  You buy a bundle of 3 coordinating fabrics - one yard each, and get to pick any pattern free.


It was a fun day and really inspired me to be more creative with my quilting.  
I will be looking forward to getting back in the sewing room when those long hot afternoons roll around this summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment