Wednesday, April 17, 2019

it burns, burns, burns


Every spring we have a yard full of fallen sticks and small branches to be picked up...and now those toppled trees to deal with too.

Sometimes I just throw the small stuff in to the woods to decompose or in to the sinkhole to help with erosion, but sometimes there is just too much and I have to burn it.

I found the perfect burn pit at the base of this fallen pine.  It left a hole when it fell and I can easily drag it's cut off branches right to the fire. It's sheltered a bit from the wind and contained by the sides of the pit.

 


 The Sasquatch had cut a lot of the branches into a managable size while we were on vacation last fall.


I found box turtles in two different places while I was clearing.  I put them to the side for their safety.
Seeing them made me start watching for snakes, which I usually don't see until May, but if it's warm enough for turtles it might be warm enough for snakes too.


Puss came out and offered her assistance...




But then she soon devised a plan where one of us could take a nap while the other kept working...




I did get a lot burned. Now waiting for another good burn day - not too windy or too wet.


Different subject...but now not only are the trees blooming so profusely this year...the yard is thick with blooming violets.  I know they are weeds to those who like an all-grass lawn...


But I think they are so pretty that I left several thickets of them unmown (until next time).


We have to keep the pollinators happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment