Monday, July 1, 2019

trying to get ahead of the weeds

With all the rain we had last month my flower beds are choked with weeds.
Usually, I pull weeds a while every evening but there were just too many...so I gathered up all my self discipline and I've been making myself go out for a couple of hours early every morning to work in the yard.

I am usually very lazy feeling in the morning and like to spend a while reading and internet-ing while I have some coffee.  But, getting out there early is really paying off.



New mulch makes everything look bright and fresh.  I've switched back to using only cypress mulch. It's more expensive but lasts much longer than the hardwood bark mulch.



I always have trouble getting anything to grow in this area. Even those agressive Rudbeckia seem to just creep around the edges of this spot leaving the center open.  I think it might be due to moles tunneling underneath...leaving roots dangling.

I bought a clearance Hydrangea and planted it towards the rear.  I thought it was a real bargain but it didn't have a label and now I think it is one of those fancy ones that won't last through our winters here.

I'd like to do some rearranging of plants but it's not a good time of year for that.


It crossed my mind to just buy a concrete bench to put in the area above and forget planting anything there, but I thought it might look too cluttery since it already had the birdbath and arch.

We wouldn't want to sit there anyway. You can see how close it is to the overgrown field next door...it's teeming with chiggers!

Every day before I go outside to weed, I slather myself with this product, Avon "Skin So Soft".  it's actually a bath oil but it works well to protect from chigger bites.


Here are some photos of the flowerbed by the driveway.  It is full with blooming flowers right now so I can't get in there to weed without breaking the stalks. Zinnias, Gladiolas, Crocosmia





Lots of gaudy color - just what I like!







1 comment:

  1. Your early hours are paying off. Your gardens are bright and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete