Thursday, July 25, 2019

saving a no-bake cookie fail

I've been trying to cut my cookie recipes down to smaller batches. With some of the recipes, I have had good luck with baking a few cookies then freezing most of the dough...portioned out in baggies to bake about 8 cookies at a time.

But the No-Bake Cookies posed a bit of a problem.  I have successfully made a half recipe before, but that's still too many cookies.
So...I tried making a one-fourth recipe.  Maybe I miscalculated, but for what ever reason the cookies did not "set".
I knew they weren't going to when I saw how shiny they were.


So, in an effort to find some idea of how I could salvage the ingredients, I turned to the trusty internet because I know it's a fairly common problem - these cookies not setting up.

There were several suggestions, like just eating them with a spoon or incorporating the mixture into a batch of cookie dough before baking. 
The best idea I found was this...Mix a new same size amount of the butter, sugar, cocoa and milk mixture. Boil as usual, but do not add the peanut butter, vanilla or oatmeal. 

Instead, scoop up your runny cookies and drop them into this new mixture after removing from heat.



Spread on waxed paper...




 ...and cut into bars while warm.



They turned out extremely sweet but at least edible.


In the future, I'll just make the half recipe and freeze the extras.  
The problem with that is...it's all too easy to sneak a cookie out of the freezer when I'm thinking of something sweet and chocolatey! 


No comments:

Post a Comment