Saturday, September 30, 2023

Accident out front

 During the 37 years I've lived here, there have been more than a few accidents on the road out front.  A slight curve just before you get to my house causes drivers to misjudge or not decrease their speed...and they're off the road. Several times taking our mailbox down as well.

I wasn't really surprised to hear an accident happen out front just before bedtime recently.

What was surprising was the amount of banging and crashing sounds I could hear and how long the sounds lasted.

I turned off the lights in the house to see better what had happened in the dark outside.

I could see cars stopped and people moving quickly on the road, so I assumed someone had phoned in the emergency.

Later, after police, fire trucks, and ambulances arrived, I walked out to see just what had happened.

It turns out that two vehicles had side swiped, then both had rolled over. One was just past my driveway, and the other was in the ditch just past my other driveway. Both were upside-down.

The next morning, I went out to take a look.

My mailbox had been here. The dark spot on the right is where the pick up truck overturned.


Part of my mailbox...


And another part...

And another...


Looking to the left of the driveway...


Here is to the left of the other driveway with the pole of the other destroyed mailbox.


The other vehicle rolled down to the tree line here. No one lost their life but this driver was taken to the hospital with head injuries.


Of course with the vehicle rolling like that there was a lot of broken plastic, glass and metal parts left behind after they towed the vehicle. Also, just a lot of contents from the vehicle...trash, clothing, wrenches, old mail and forth...even a big spring and the vehicle bumper with license plate attached.

The Sasquatch and I worked a long while picking stuff up and filled a garbage bin. The police came to pick up the license plate.


Fortunately we were able to get the insurance company info to pay for mailbox replacements.

The Saquatch got them put back up. A nice new post set with a special spray foam.


And here's my new mailbox.  Long may it stand!


I picked up the police report for insurance info.


It looks like the injured person, who caused the accident was suspected of both alcohol and drug use.


I'm glad things were not worse for those involved.  

Hearing a car crash is such a strange sound...it's like no other. A loud hollow metal crunching sound.  Not a sound I want to hear again.


No comments:

Post a Comment