Wednesday, June 4, 2014

confused woodpecker

 This little woodpecker has developed a taste for the sweetened water in the hummingbird feeder. I believe this is a Hairy Woodpecker.
A Downy Woodpecker looks very similar except for a smaller beak.

But this little fellow has been landing here fairly regularly to satisfy his sweet tooth. (or should I say sweet beak?)



At first I thought he was just curious and trying to see what the hummingbirds were finding here, but then I noticed droplets of water as he pulled his beak away...he is definitely drinking.


But wait...now here is a Red Bellied  Woodpecker. Either he doesn't understand what to do or he doesn't like sugar water. I have only noticed him here a couple of times.



While I'm on the subject of wildlife...look at this little newt that my younger son found while hiking.


He looked for info online and it looks like an Eastern Newt.  This lovely orange color is only a temporary stage for them.

They are pretty small as you can see by this large finger in the photo to show scale.


These newts live only in damp places. Junior saw this one just after heavy rains...the newt was able to come out from it's damp hiding place, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment