Saturday, June 28, 2014

deciding on a border

I have this quilt top completely sewn and now I am trying to decide on a border. The border will be only about 3" wide all around - I don't want the quilt to be too big for a "couch quilt".

I had been leaning toward using one of these blue fabrics, but when I asked for opinions from friends at my quilt group meeting, most thought the black would look better.


Maybe they think there is too much pattern and color already?  I have a tendency to use more colorful fabrics. To me, they look cheerful and energetic. To some, they may be gaudy and distracting.

Here is another picture narrowing down the choices to the blue stripe or the solid black.


To me the black is just too somber and takes the life out of the quilt. The blue makes your eyes start searching over the blocks to find more blues.

I am using the blue.

It makes me wonder why I asked for opinions when I knew which one I liked all along. I guess I was just expecting others to agree! 






4 comments:

  1. I smiled when I read this. I've been known to ask for an opinion even when I have made up my mind.
    Will you mitre the corners? I love stripes, particularly for bindings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blue makes everything pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blue best, too. Do what makes you smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like lots of color too! I would use the blue too. What a great quilt that will be. I love all the variety of fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete