Monday, June 30, 2014

fresh peach cobbler

It's the season for fresh peaches and they were on sale at the grocery so I decided to make a peach cobbler.

My favorite place to look for recipes is Allrecipes.com. I found this recipe for Fresh Southern Peach Cobbler there and it had hundreds of good reviews.

Fresh Southern Peach Cobbler

8 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced into thin wedges.
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. cornstarch

dough
1 cup flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter
1/4 cup boiling water

topping
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon


I used 11 peaches since they were small. 
In a large bowl combine peaches, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 2 qt. casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.



Meanwhile, mix the dry dough ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in boiling water to form a soft dough.

Drop dough portions on top of hot peaches. (I used a cookie scoop).  Mix the sugar and cinnamon topping and sprinkle over all.

Bake about 30 minutes.



I started not to show this picture since it looks a little burned. It was only the sugar on top that burned though...maybe because I used my small oven and it was close to the top element? I even decreased the temperature the last 10 minutes. 


So pretend you didn't see that and look how good it looks when I spooned it upside down to serve!
Delicious with a scoop of Turkey Hill Natural Vanilla ice cream.




And Squirrel was delighted to get all those peach peelings. He seemed to really be savoring them.


No comments:

Post a Comment