Monday, September 5, 2016

barbecue at home

A couple of weeks ago my older son, Chopper, had lunch at a barbecue restaurant he had never tried before...FDKY BBQ.    Strange name, but he liked their food.  
Knowing how Lonnie loves barbecue, Chopper brought him a bottle of one of their sauces for us to try out.

When I saw pork shoulders on sale this week at the grocery, I knew just what to do with that sauce!

I bought a big one and roasted it for about 7 hours on Saturday.


I let it cool, separated out the fat then put the meat in the fridge overnight.   On Sunday morning, I sliced it up a little and added the whole bottle of sauce and heated it in the oven for about an hour.


It came out pretty good. The sauce is a good one...sweet and tangy.  We all like a little hot sauce on our barbecue too.

Along with it, we had deviled eggs, crash hot potatoes, cole slaw, Mayocoba beans, buttered green beans with onions, and Jiffy mix corn muffins.
(oh dear, chaotic table, again)


Thanks, Chopper, for the tasty barbecue sauce! Lonnie and I will have to go try the restaurant some time.


For dessert, white cake with cream cheese frosting in the middle and sweetened whip cream frosting on the outside...a belated birthday cake for me - so we had to have ice cream with it too.

White cake with white icing is my favorite.


I had a little mishap with the deviled eggs. I always sprinkle paprika over the top of them.
Well, this time I accidentally grabbed the cayenne pepper out of the cabinet and sprinkled that on them. Whew!
Those spices are close to the same color but definitely not interchangeable in a recipe!

And you know what's even worse?  This is the second time I've done that very thing!


The eggs were not inedible...and we do like hot foods...I just wouldn't make them that way on purpose.






No comments:

Post a Comment