Monday, November 30, 2015

turkey chili

After a few days of eating leftover turkey and mashed potatoes, I started hankering for something more spicy. I had just enough turkey left to make some turkey chili.

Not really a recipe...just using what I had on hand...great northern beans, black beans, rotel tomatoes. an onion, a carton of vegetable broth that was near it's expiration date, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, salt & pepper...and left over turkey, shredded.


Oh yeah, and this lone sweet potato!


I chopped the onion and peeled and diced the sweet potato and browned a bit in olive oil.


Then I added everything else and simmered on low for about an hour.


When it was done, I smushed the sweet potato chunks against the side of the pan to break them up a little. They looked too big and weird in the soup. 


I hadn't put away my turkey dishes yet, and I thought it would be nice to use them once more, so I ladled the soup into the bowls that came with the set. They are usually just used as serving bowls on Thanksgiving.  


The soup was good but I wished I had some corn chips to sprinkle on top. My husband added hot sauce.   It hit the spot on a cold rainy day.







No comments:

Post a Comment