Thursday, October 16, 2014

a little bit of fall color

A few trees around our yard are beginning to show some fall color.

the best so far is this Sassafras Tree at the edge of the woods. It catches the evening sun - so pretty!


A closer look. It seems like these colors could be used to put together a beautiful quilt.



There is a huge old Walnut tree right on the property line in back of us. A couple of years ago I noticed it was being smothered by a combination of grape vines and wild rose vines - so I dragged some of the vines down and cut others off at the ground.
It seem like it helped the tree out because there are a lot more walnuts this year. I kicked a few up into a pile but I'll just leave them here for the animals.


It was a beautiful afternoon earlier this week. It had rained in the morning and the sun was out later. The sky kept changing every few minutes.



Lots of mushrooms popping up everywhere...these look like small bloody internal organs when you see them from a distance! 


I saw this walking stick bug on the side of the shed. He was small - about 3" long in the body. I thought it looked somewhat like a praying mantis, but I Googled "walking stick insect" , and found that's what it is.



Berries on a Honeysuckle Bush. 


I mistakenly thought Honeysuckle bushes were native US plants and that the vines were invasive imports. I am going to have to look up more information on that, because the last thing I read about them said that some types of Honeysuckle bushes are invasive.  
Because their leaves develop early in the year and stay green longer, they shade out native wildflowers and tree sprouts. They must be a huge problem in some areas...developing into a spreading dense thicket.






No comments:

Post a Comment