Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

I picked up a couple of marked down packages of mushrooms at the grocery without a plan for how to use them.
Days were going by without me being able to work them into a meal so I though I'd try making cream of mushroom soup.

I looked at the Allrecipes website and found that if you want to make cream of mushroom soup, you will need to have cream or half & half.
Generally, I would have one or the other ...but not this time.

I kept looking at recipes and came across this one that had good reviews. I had all the ingredients!


Hungarian Mushroom Soup

4 Tblsp. Butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms,sliced
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1Tblsp. Paprika
1 Tblsp Soy sauce
 2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
3 Tblsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used a couple tablespoons of dried)
1/2 cup sour cream (I only had this kind with chives)

Saute chopped onions in  butter until softened. I like to get a little browning and carmelization going on in the pan for more flavor. (That's what to say if you're burning your onions!)

Add mushrooms, dill, paprika, soy sauce, and chicken broth. The original recipe said to saute the mushrooms for 5 minutes before adding the broth. I didn't do this because it seems like mushrooms will always soak up the butter then stick to the pan. 


Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, wisk flour in to the milk until 
no lumps remain. Stir into the mushroom mixture. Add salt and pepper.


Cover and simmer about 15 minutes longer. Stir in lemon juice, parsley and sour cream.
Allow the temperature to come back up but do not boil.
I had to add more milk to thin mine out...probably because I used an extra half pound of mushrooms.

So it turned out just about like cream of mushroom soup anyway.




Lonnie really liked it.  I think it would also be good with chicken or beef added...if you wanted a heartier soup.

If you want to see the original recipe you can click here Hungarian Mushroom Soup




No comments:

Post a Comment