I am happy to report that I got a ribbon on each of the four things I entered!
A first place blue ribbon on the mini quilt there on the left. They didn't have a category for mini quilts, so I entered it in "wall hangings".
The black,yellow and pink pocket pillowcase earned a second place red ribbon.
The stuffed patchwork Christmas dog and the dog quilt each placed third in their categories - those are the white ribbons.
And I waltzed away with $12.00 cash prize winnings!
Bear in mind, that it is a small county fair...so really not a lot of competition in some of the entry categories.
In fact, I think my pillowcase was the only one entered!
But it was a fun experience and I will probably do it again next year.
Now, here is my Blue Ribbon winning chocolate dessert recipe.....
“My Lonely Days are Over” Chocolate Cake
Cake Layer Topping Layer
1/3 cup sugar 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup water ¼ cup sugar
pinch of salt 8 oz. Cool Whip
9 oz. Ghirardelli Semisweet Baking Chocolate
½ cup butter, softened
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare an 8” springform pan by spraying inside with non-stick spray and wrapping outside with foil.
2) Combine sugar, water, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) Melt chocolate in a microwave safe dish, microwaving and stirring, in 30 second increments, being careful not to scorch chocolate.
4) Pour chocolate in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix in butter, one tablespoon at a time. Slowly add warm sugar water mixture. Mix well. With mixer running, add eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated.
5) Pour batter into prepared springform pan. Bake the cake in a water bath by setting the springform pan into a 13”x9” pan.
Pour enough boiling water in the larger pan to come about three fourths the way up the sides of the springform pan.
6) Carefully place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Edges of the cake should be firm but not dried out. Center should look moist but not jiggley. Remove foil from pan and allow to cool completely.
For the topping…
1) In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend cream cheese with sugar until fluffy. Gently fold in Cool Whip by hand. Spread over cooled cake layer. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.
2) Run a thin knife around the inside of springform pan. Carefully open and remove the collar. Garnish cake as desired. (drizzle with chocolate or top with chocolate shavings, fruit or finely chopped nuts).