Monday, July 20, 2015

Italian bean dip/hummus

On Sunday, I usually always have an appetizer for Chopper and the Sasquatch to eat while I am getting dinner ready.

I attempt to make something that is nutritious...and not just junk food.
This time I tried out a recipe for "Italian Hummus", which came from a healthy eating type website...but I am afraid I had to add more fat and calories to it for it to taste good...and salt.

Italian Hummus 
1 can cannellini beans, including liquid
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
basil
oregano
3 heaping Tbsp. tahini          >
tony chachare seasoning      >   >    additions to original recipe
salt, if needed                      >


The items pictured above are what the original recipe calls for. 
I have basil growing in the garden this year, and Lonnie's youngest son brought us an oregano plant, so I had fresh herbs (or are these spices?) but the recipe actually listed dried .

(Those oregano leaves start turning brown really fast - I had picked these not 10 minutes before the photo was taken.)

Anyhoo, just add these ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.



I thought the dip needed something extra at this point, so I added...


Much better!  But when I make this again, I will add more "heat" to it. Maybe cayenne or jalapeno pepper.

Serve with toasted flour tortilla triangles.




It was a good appetizer for Sunday dinner, which was lasagna, garlic bread, creamed corn, and buttered fresh broccoli.
We have one family member who doesn't like lasagna (doesn't like lasagna??!!) so he had chicken tenders with honey mustard. (It's the noodles that he doesn't like.)



Then it was Banana Pudding for dessert.


I wanted to make a fresh peach cobbler this week but the peaches at the grocery were all very small and very hard. Shouldn't this still be peak season for peaches?
There must have been poor weather conditions for them this year.  I might try frozen peach slices for a cobbler and see what kind of results I get with  those.








No comments:

Post a Comment