Friday, July 25, 2014

purple passion

I noticed  these bright blooms in the field next to our house. I have never noticed  them there before.


I went in to get a closer look. Pretty!  I looked online and found it is a Purple Passion Flower, a native plant.
Also called a "May Pop".  It is supposed to develop small yellow fruits when the flower falls off. 


I might try to snip off a piece of the vine and see if I can get it to root...or look for the fruits and get the seeds.

Also in  the field, are these beautiful Orange Butterfly Weed plants...which I am always tempted to try and transplant to my flower bed...but I have read that they don't transplant well and I don't want to kill them. 
I'll just enjoy them where they are.



These Trumpet Flowers were at the edge of  the woods, in a tangle with the wild grapevines...a little too high  to get a good picture. They are also native to the U.S., and they attract hummingbirds

More of nature's beauty...a majestic summer evening sky...

our view to the east





3 comments:

  1. One year we had a crop of "may pops". They were the green/yellow type and pretty tasty. They are SLOW to germinate. There is also a darker brown/purple type. They are climbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slightly smaller than tennis ball. Wait for them to fully mature before harvesting or you'll end up with a basket of hollow spheres...

      Delete
    2. I will have to watch for these again next year...my cutting didn't develop roots (should have had rooting hormone, I guess?) And I didn't see fruits at all...maybe looked to soon or too late for them.

      Delete